Thursday, August 20, 2009

These Sliders Will Score A Home Run

I will admit I'm not a huge sports fan but I do love sports food sometimes and it was at a sports bar where I first discovered sliders. I thought it was a cute idea but I also thought there beef was on the dry side. I have learned there are those who like to add only to the bun and there are those who add mostly to the meat. I love adding things to my meat and bun to give a balance without eating the same ol hamburger over and over again. Not to long ago I was watching Rachel Ray cook off with Bobby Flay in a show down of who made the best burger. Rachel always calls herself the burger queen and although I'm great at burgers I would not call myself the queen in that category.
Bobby said that Rachel was making meatloaf not hamburger and that struck me funny because in a way he was right. So I tried Bobby's way of salt and pepper the beef and add crazy things to my bun, I found the beef to be dry. For me I am siding with Rachel on the burger thing, flavor the meat before you cook it! I call these sliders my St. Paddy's because they look so green when you first flip them it's almost scary.
I love these the best made with ground turkey rather then beef but make both and judge for yourself.


St. Paddy's Turkey Sliders

1 Package of Ground Turkey 1 Cup of Spinach Puree** 1 Small Onion (chopped) any color 4 Fresh Basil leaves (chopped) 1 tsp of Montreal Steak Seasoning (Mc Cormicks) 1/4 Cup of Dried Mushrooms (Porcini, Brazilian and Ivory Portabella)** 15-16 slider buns** Shredded Colby Jack Cheese or slices

Mix your meat, onion, spinach, seasoning, dash of salt and reconstituted mushrooms in a bowl. Heat your fry pan with a little olive oil, make patty's that fit in the palm of your hand, lay them down with nothing in the middle and do not touch until you see the sides turn tan-ish. After 2 minutes flip, yes they will look a little green, place cheese on top and add 1/8 cup of water in the middle of pan, cover even if it is with foil, turn off the heat after 1 min and let rest for 3-5. I dress these baby's with fresh tomato, baby dills, frenchy mustard and top off with a little bestfoods mayo (hellmanns) on the tomato side. Bestfoods and tomatoes together LOVE IT!
**I like to take my fresh spinach and put a little water in a blender to puree it for recipes like this or sauces, that way I never let spinach go bad in the fridge either,
**I buy this mix at Costco it has 6 different mushrooms in the jar, pricey upfront but will save you a lot in the long run.
**I love the dinner rolls by Orowheat

This will make 15-16 nice size sliders, the picture looks big but it was a small plate.

Enjoy,
Ms. Foodie

No comments: