Monday, August 3, 2009

I Love Eggs for Breakfast ~ Lunch ~ Dinner ~ Yum

Sometimes I just feel like eating Breakfast for dinner and I have a new recipe that will make your egg loven' kids think there mom is way cool.

My mother in law was over this past week and do we love to cook! Brainstorming with her is fun because she is vegetarian, working on gluten free and I am beef, butter and bread all the way. I do love to cook and eat vegetarian, in fact that is some of my most favorite pizza's but today I'd love to share a few egg recipes we have either found or made up.

I love these eggs!!!!!!! My mother in law made these for Matt & Me, of course I have switched things around a bit and put in some extras but have left the balance of everything else alone.
I'm sure your family will go wild for these egg dishes for breakfast, lunch & dinner too!



Eggs -N- Potato Chips


1 med onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves finally chopped
2 tsp of ginger finally chopped
1 whole Jalapeno seeded and minced**
1/2 C of Cilantro**
1/2 of Fresh Spinach chiffonade (cut into small ribbons)
1/4 flat leaf parsley
4-5 oz of Fresh Kettle potato chips** (Lays salt and pepper)
4 Eggs
1/2 Tbsp of EVOO**
1/2 Butter (unsalted)
1 Tbsp water

Melt butter in frying pan, add onions, stir a few times till they are starting to brown
add next 3 ingredients garlic, ginger, Jalapeno let it release oils and soften 1-2 min
add Spinach, wilt down then add Parsley and Cilantro.
Now comes the fun part, take your chips and crush them in your hand toss all ingredient's to coat chips
Spread evenly in pan and make 4 little holes or nest
Crack 1 egg in each hole
add your Tbsp of water down the side of pan and cove quickly to steam eggs about 3 min
If you are wanting hard boil eggs go longer but no more then 6-8 or it will burn.



** Notes
If your family likes heat use a hotter pepper or keep in the seeds
Cilantro AKA coriander leaves
I love the Lays Kettle chips because they have very little burnt chips in the bag but I also like Tim's Jalapeno or Sweet Maui Onion, Lays BBQ, Lays kettle salt and vinegar & Lays Plain Kettle chips, stale chips will not taste as good
EVOO is extra virgin olive oil and if you want to cut out the butter you can, I just love the taste of my onions in butter.
This is a great recipe for a cast iron skillet

Serves 2-4 depending on if it's a meal or side dish


I learned this from an English friend Sara she called it:

Chicks In A Basket

2 eggs
2 slices of bread
2 tsp of butter or EVOO
S-n-P

take a slice of bread, I love honey WW
cut or tear a hole in the middle of your bread, large enough to fit 1 egg.
get pan hot, melt butter or pour oil drop down bread
crack 1 egg in each hole, sprinkle with s-n-p
cook about 1 min. flip to other side with spatula
cook 1-3 min. depending on how you like your yolks.
serves 1


Matt and I went to a B-n-B with my father and step mom (another great cook) and the innkeeper served us a Blueberry coffee cake and a simple mushroom omelet. The twist was they were chewy shitaki's which I have been a fan for many years in Asian cuisine. I did not ask for her omelet recipe but I did get the coffee cake recipe and ended up making my own version of her Simple, flavorful omelet.


Shitaki Omelet

6 eggs
2 Tbsp 1/2 & 1/2
6-8 Shitaki's depending on size
1 Tbsp of EVOO
2 cloves of Garlic grated
1/4 Cup Gryer cheese
1 Tbsp of Parmigiano Reggiano

Beat the eggs with a whisk to fluff and add air
and 1/2 & 1/2 beat some more, add parm-reggi and beat some more
now in a omelet pan ( small fry pan) add a drizzle of EVOO
heat the shitaki till they are hot, take out 1/2 and place on cutting board.
add garlic, mix around and spread mixture in pan, pour 1/2 the egg mixture
cook for about 2 min. and flip like a pancake, add 1/2 the Gryer on 1/2 fold other half over and serve (keep warm in oven)
Repeat. serves 2

No comments: