Friday, August 28, 2009

In The Mood For Grilled Salmon?

I was in the mood for salmon fresh off the BBQ until I grilled it....Matt and I threw on some eggplant steaks, T-Bone steaks and I really wanted to grill that salmon for lunch or dinner the next day. Well the next came and I was so out of the mood for salmon, I did not know what to do. My mother-in-law had told me about this warm potato salad with salmon but I did not feel like that either. What else? I was on the phone with my mother-in-law and I asked if she had any quick clever ideas, yes she did! Salmon Croquettes aka salmon patties, somewhere in that moment I came up with crab cakes made out of salmon....Now that could be good! I said "love ya Deb but I gotta go cook now" and off I went. I love when I have an idea and I can just run with it, I had left over brown rice, fresh picked dill, walla walla onions from Sherries garden and panko (Japanese break crumbs).


Salmon Cakes
2 Lbs of Grilled Salmon (I had grilled it with a few fresh basil leaves and sea salt)**
1 Egg
2 Walla Walla Onions chopped fine (any sweet onion)**
1/2 Cup of cooked brown rice**
1/2 Cup of Panko
2 tsp of black pepper
1 Tbsp of fresh dill
1 Tbsp of EVOO
In a bowl with a fork flake your salmon, add your chopped onion, dill and egg, mix well. Then add your brown rice, next add your panko and black pepper. Drizzle some evoo in a pan, make patties with your hand and lightly brown on each side. They might fall apart a little but make sure you press them together well before cooking. I make a long football shape and eat it on a toasted croissant with tarter sauce(see below) fresh tomato and shredded lettuce or hearts of romaine. This will make over 8 large patties or 10-12 smaller patties, I made 6 patties and saved the rest for tomorrow night.

Tarter Sauce
2 Tbsp of Best Foods (Hellmanns)
1 Tbsp of finely diced dill pickle
mix in a bowl and it will keep in fridge for about 1 week

**I like to grill my skinless salmon in aluminum foil so I don't loose it through the grills and it stays really moist but I leave the foil open so it has the BBQ smoky taste. I also love cooking salmon on cedar planks.
**a little smaller then a tennis ball but larger then a golf ball
**if you have a Trader Joes (www.traderjoes.com) buy their stir fried brown rice with shitaki mushrooms in a clear plastic bag, it comes cooked and is wonderful to use in recipes like this. It is so good I love to eat that with a big salad sometimes for lunch.

No comments: