Friday, August 14, 2009

Figs and Brie

I have this neighbor who has a fig tree and he came over one day to let me know my little dog Daisy Mae was eating the figs from the bottom of his tree, and was this OK with me. I laughed and said "yes, she too is a foodie and loves her fresh fruit & veggies." He asked if I wanted some figs for myself and I told him the only figs I had ever eaten were "fig newtons;" now he was laughing and said, "you've really got to try the real thing!" So I walked back to his house, he picked one for me and from then on, I was hooked!!! I had no idea that you ate the whole fig including the skin and although that little crunchy seedy middle was familiar the fig was new flavors to my palette, I really wanted to see what else I could do.

Last week I shared my "Brie Cheese Cake" with you, now I'd love to share another great brie dish that I have been making for years it is simply called:


Figs and Brie With Hazelnuts

1 Chunk of brie (cut in half)
3 Tbsp of fig preserve
1/2 Cup of chopped hazelnuts
4 Whole fresh figs



You can use a 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 of brie with this recipe.

Take your brie and cut it across the middle (like a cake)
spread on your fig jam and cover with chopped hazelnuts, toast the leftovers for the plating.
Bake on 350 until your brie bubbles and starts to melt (15-20 min)

Slice your figs in 1/4 and serve with toasted hazelnuts on a plate with your favorite cracker.
I love "Ak-Mak".........sesame


The sweetness of this dish is sure to please the sugar craving.

No comments: