Friday, August 21, 2009

Another BBQ Meal ... For The Summer...You Won't Miss The Meat!

I do love salad all year round but when summer hits and veggies are in their prime, I go crazy!

I found this new show I love called BBQ University and Steven made these beautiful portabellas with a chimichurri sauce on them. I do love to BBQ portabellas because they really do take on more of a meaty flavor. I wanted to pair this with some garlic mashed potatoes and a honey lime jicama salad. Steven had his with pico del gallo and I missed his chimichurri recipe, I could not find it but I have my own. I love meat and potatoes so of course mashed potatoes were my perfect answer to this delish dish!


Chimichurri Sauce
1 Bunch of Cilantro
1/2 bunch of Parsley (curled or flat leaf)
3/4 Cup of EVOO
Juice of one and half Limes
2 Garlic cloves
6 Basil Leaves
1 Serrano Pepper (I use half the seeds)
1 tsp of sea salt

Puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
next you will need:

6 Large Portabella Mushrooms
Wipe off and rinse the button part if you need to, pull out the stems.

Take some chimichurri sauce and make 6 little spots (size of a silver dollar) on a baking sheet.
Place bellas down stem side up (aka gill side), spoon one Tablespoon of chimi sauce for each mushroom and keep the rest for when you grill. Let rest for 1-2 hours in the fridge or 30 min covered at room temp. (while you are waiting make your salad) After your coals are grey and hot, place your portabellas GILL SIDE DOWN. Cook covered only 3-4 min and flip, once you have turned them over spoon on rest of your chimichurri sauce and drizzle with just a little olive oil to keep them moist. Cook covered again for less then 4-5 min (make sure not to burn them).
Because this is not meat you can transfer cooked bellas to the original baking sheet and plate up, it's time to eat!


Jicama Salad
1/2 Jicama
1/2 Green Pepper
1 Cucumber seeded
1/4 Cup of Cilantro
1/8 Cup of Onion (white or yellow)
4 Roma Tomatoes
Juice of 1/2 Lime
1 Tbsp of Honey


First place Honey and Lime juice in a bowl and mix, then...
Chop and dice, mix in the bowl to coat with juice and honey.


I peel my potatoes and boil salted water before I light the coals.

Orange Mashed Garlic Potatoes
8 Russets peeled
1 Sweet Potato peeled
6 Roasted Cloves of Garlic**
1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
Milk if you need more liquid when whipping

Drop potatoes in boiling salted water, wait till you can poke with fork easily. Drain and put over hot pot to make sure all the water is out.
If you have a ricer then run potatoes through that if not pre-mash them in pot and then whip them with mixer, add cream and garlic, whip some more.
You will not need butter but I love a little fresh ground pepper.


**My "roasted garlic" is in this blog.



This is my whole meal, the picture looks a bit off because you can not see the gorgeous orange hue my perfectly mashed potatoes really looked and the sauce looks like it's sitting rather rather then bathing my just right grill portabellas. I would love a food photographer to come click some pix for me :)

No comments: