Friday, August 7, 2009

Did You Say...Brie Cheese Cake?



Yes, yes I did!
My girlfriend Tracie came over one day and wanted to make me melted brie with dried fruit and jam. I was so turned off by that because I had always eaten savory brie's or brie on it's own but I will admit I don't love fruit and cheese together. For some crazy reason it sits with me like fruit cake or cottage cheese and fruit cocktail. Tracie was so excited about this brie dish, I just couldn't say no, so here we are in the store and the one thing we both agreed on was the apricot preserves. We found some different dried fruits with blueberry's, cranberry's etc...it still had raisin's but these were at least golden. We spotted these candied hibiscus flowers that sounded really good, how fun and pretty would that be. We went home to make our creation, Tracie actually put it together, it was beautiful but again way to much fruit for me and the jam was everywhere. I will admit it was the hit of our shin dig, I know many people do love fruit and cheese and that I'm just the odd duck out. However I have always loved to play with my food and I have a very hard time sticking to a recipe, just ask Matt. So I have since changed it around a few times and so far fig jam and walnuts are one of my new favorites but the winner........takes the cake hahaha and that is why I have called it:



Brie Cheese Cake

1 Round of brie cheese (you could use 1/4 or 1/2)
1 Cup of pecans whole and chopped
1/3 of a jar of jam
8 Candied hibiscus flowers**

Preheat oven to 400**
Take Brie round and slice it in half like a piece of bread (2 thin rounds)
pop one of the brie halves on a heat safe plate cut side up, if you do not have a heat safe plate use foil on a cookie sheet upside down.
Spread 2/3 of your jam on the cut side sitting on the plate
Sprinkle chopped pecans over that, then chop up 4 of you flowers and spread on top of nuts
take your other 1/2 of brie and place cut side down on top of your brie like a cake you just frosted
Spread rest of your perserves (thinner then the middle) and make a ring around the outside with pecans or just place them how you think they will be pretty
Cut your last 4 flowers in half and add to your brie when it's half way done baking (10 min)

Bake for about 25 min depending on hot hot your oven gets

Serves 4-8 people

**Candied Hibiscus Flowers used to be found at Trader Joes, they have discontinued and I have not been able to find them anywhere else yet. I have used in place sour cherries and dried cranberry's not as pretty but similar to taste.
** Toaster ovens get really hot and burn the fruit on top so if you are going to use foil the top of your brie and turn down temp to 300 for 15 min.


If you ever find Candied Hibiscus from Thailand please e-mail me because I miss them so.

Thank you,
Ms. Foodie

No comments: