Monday, August 10, 2009

Flank Steak BBQ Dinner With Spanish Chopped Salad

It is so funny that the person who turned me onto flank steak was my mother in law (the vegetarian) I love to tease her about that but there was a time where she used to eat meat. Matt tells me it was one of his childhood favorites, so of course I want to make my guy his favorite meal. I also wanted to please my mother in law who could easily make this into a vegetarian meal and this is what I came up with.


Mixed Grain Rice
I have this mixed in a jar so I just pour it out by what I need. Every grain is equal except,
I double the basmati and use half the Black rice.

Brown Rice
Red Rice
Black Rice
Basmati
Barley
Millet

Cook in a rice cooker with a Tbsp of evoo and lime juice.
When finished serve hot with BBQ veggies on top.


BBQ Veggies

8 Campari Tomatoes (small or pint of cherry)
1 Red Sweet Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
2 Tbsp of EVOO
1 Sprig of Fresh rosemary minced or 2 tsp dried
Sea salt to sprinkle lightly across all veggies


Take some foil and make a tray with a lip around it or use a grill pan, slice tomatoes length wise and cut peppers in 4-5 strips. Place in pan cut side up, sprinkle with a little kosher or sea salt and rosemary, then drizzle with evoo. As soon as coals are gray (unless you have a gas BBQ) put tomatoes and peppers on for about 10 min. BEFORE you put the steak on, then pull them off the fire when you can see the backs of the peppers start to blacken. Your steak will be done close to the same time. While you are waiting for the veggies to cook, now is a great time to start your chopped salad.

BBQ Flank Steak

A Flank Steak
1 Tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
S-n-P

Resting Marinade

2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tsp of Fresh Graded Ginger

Super easy, take your steak cover with plastic wrap on a cutting board and smack it hard with something flat (I use a thick heavy duty short drinking glass). Flip it over and do the other side, you are wanting to make your whole steak about the same width so stay more in the middle then the edges. Next sprinkle with salt and pepper, both sides (go easy on the salt). Throw it on the grill about 5 min on one side, after you have flipped the steak drizzle with evoo and cook 3 on the other side. Place foil on your plate that your cooked steak will transfer too and make sure you have enough to wrap steak completely. After you pull the steak off the grill have your resting marinade ready, put your steak on the foil, add marinade and cover the steak completely, let it sit in a warm place for about 10 min. You can finish your chopped salad at this time.


Spanish Chopped Salad

4 small to medium tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 English Cucumber (chopped really small)**
1 Green Pepper**
1/2 Can of Black Olives (chopped/minced)
1/2 Bunch of Cilantro (chopped)
1/4 Jalapeno (minced)
1/2 Lime Juiced
1 Tbsp EVOO

You will need a super sharp knife for this salad.
The key to this salad is everything needs to be chopped so small it's almost minced.
After chopping everything, toss the lime juice and evoo in and mix well.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes to marry the flavors and You are done.

Topping for Salad:

1 Avocado (chopped )
1 Tbsp of Lime Juice over Avocado so it stays green


If you didn't notice this was one of my twist on my Israeli Salad I wanted to share with you. I love these salads because they have amazing flavor without a bunch of dressing. It's quick and easy to make, it does not cost a lot of money, it's nice to your waist and you usually have these ingredients. Most kids will eat it if you call it confetti and don't give any details.

I hope you and your family love eating this and I hope you love making it as much as me.

Ms. Foodie

No comments: