Monday, September 7, 2009

Are your Herbs ready for the cold weather?

As much as I love fall and winter cooking!!!! I miss my garden, fresh herbs and tomatoes galore! I live in an area where freeze at night happens a lot, so to safe guard my herbs, I pull them up and keep them in the garage shop until they are done. Sometimes I get to keep them all year like my rosemary and to do this I take my shovel, cut down in the ground about the size of a gallon pot. I leave the rosemary alone for about 3 weeks, so it does not go threw shock. Then I pull them out of the ground, plant them in a 1-2 gallon pot and baby them all winter, until I can replant them. Some I just leave in the pot and pull the pot in and out of the ground each season. Basil, thyme and sage come in the house with me and this year because of my 50 plus heirloom tomatoes they too are going to come with me. I will have to let you know how that turns out.

I'm getting ready for soup, stews, gumbo and chili's!

How about you, are you ready for the fall?

Ms. Foodie

No comments: