Monday, July 27, 2009

What To Grow In Your First Herb Garden

So you've been dreaming of walking outside and clipping your own herbs to cook with for the day but there is one problem....You don't have an herb garden and you don't know where to start. Ms. Foodie to the rescue, here I come. I am no Martha Stewart but I can grow herbs and I am a great cook!

First you need to ask yourself some questions, before you go and plant a bunch a herb garden :

1 What is the cost to grow herb vs buying herbs based on your family’s consumption?
2 How much will you have to plant to get your yield per year?
3 How well will this herb grow in your area?
4 Do want to plant for fun or is it really for the cooking you do?



TOP TEN LIST OF HERBS TO GROW FOR BEGINNERS


Basil ~ There are many Basil's but the ones I find to grow well are Sweet Italian, Lemon and Cinnamon. They grow well in warm sunny weather and not super cold but I have found they like a little shade because where I live my summer can be blistering hot and it is very dry. Eat the leaf or use the stems to infuse in sauces or pasta water.


Chives ~ I love garlic and onion, I found chives to grow better by directly seeding into the garden. They say no harvest is recommended during the first year because it is giving the young plants time to establish. I say grow the whole package and be selective when trimming, not to buzz cut the plant. If in the second year you have to many, pot and give as gifts.Chives are best used fresh as for most herbs but you can freeze successfully. I found dried chives loose all flavor, so I don't bother. Chop the whole stem in pieces.


Thyme ~ Lemon and Garden (regular), this is the cutest little pant I have seen. With protection they can survive the winter. I usually buy the plant and transplant after last frost, I like to keep a few plants because you find they go well in so many dishes. You clip a little piece of the stem and zip your fingers from top to bottom to clean stalk of baby leaves.

Rosemary ~ Is on my list because I love this stuff! I would not say I have full bushy plants but I have very tender wonderful smelling stalks of rosemary. You can use this fresh, frozen or dried. I use it for many things, cooking, marinades infusing Olive Oil, Sparkling water, Salt, I put it in my bath and my body lotions.

Sage ~ There are many different sages out there but not all are for eating! The sage that you see growing in the wild is usually the same sage you use for "smudge sticks" to burn. The one you eat has silvery leaves and is easy to grow, it produces a lot so unless you have areas where you just like to look at these plants I would start small. You can use fresh, frozen or dried because it is so strong, use a little at a time not to overpower your dish. You cook with the leaf.

Sweet Marjoram ~ Marjoram is a tender and very aromatic, it also is a small plant. I like to also buy this plant at my nursery. Marjoram is a close relative to oregano and marjoram can be used any where oregano can be used. I use this fresh dried or frozen. I love this mixed with Lavender and Rosemary for keeping in linen closets.


Dill ~ Has come along way and is not used just for pickling anymore! I love fresh sprigs in my salad's especially my smoked salmon salad. Use fresh or dried, the only time I freeze is when its already in a sauce.



Parsley ~ is not just for decor on a plates at a restaurant anymore. Flat leaf parsley is used in salads, pesto's, soups, sauces and tossed into vegetable dishes. I love this herb fresh or frozen only, dried parsley is out of date for me. You can still chew on it to freshen your breath but I'd rather not risk green in my teeth, Thank you.


Summer Savory ~ I have never really grown this herb but I hear it is easy to grow and can be directly seeded into the garden. It is like Cilantro where you have to pinch the growing points of this plant to encourage it to grow wide. Savory is used either fresh or dried.


Cilantro ~ Also known as the Coriander Leaf Cilantro is much more versatile to me then most Americans give it credit for. People hear the word and think "Mexican Food" yes this is true but it is also used in Thai and Indian cooking as well. Like Savory, Parsley, Basil and Dill you must pinch the tops to make them grow wide, rather then grow up in a stalk. You can tell the difference between parsley and cilantro right away by the smell. I love this fresh or frozen only but then again I have never thought of drying because of the dishes I make.


The above list comes from my personal experience and what other herb growers have shared with me.

Before planting in your area consult your local nursery because they usually have great tips and can let you know what grows best where you live

Remember there are hundreds of herbs out there to grow and experiment with try at least one new one a year.


TIPS FROM MS. FOODIE:

I recommend for most of your already picked herbs that you are not going to finish using try to freeze them rather then drying.You will also find that the herbs cut very well while frozen, such as Cilantro, Basil and Parsley. I also like to puree in a blender with a little bit of spring water and freeze in ice cube trays, it is easy to store, fast to use and very handy. I have also froze my unused fresh veggies before they go bad and I loose them. This even works on whole tomatoes for sauces but watch out those little tomatoes freeze into rock hard balls, so don't drop on you glass dishes!

Herbs bruise easily so, unless your knife is razor sharp try using scissors. Sometimes I find it faster and it creates a job for a little helper in your kitchen.

Get more Vitamins and Antioxidants in your body; dress up your same old salad and add herbs. Your family will love their same old favorite with a twist and you will love the added benefits.

Did you know that herbs have fads? Like color on your walls herbs too go in and out of popularity. Keep that in mind when your making that meatloaf, add some fresh Rosemary for that cancer fighting punch!

Thanks for Reading and Bon Appetit,

Ms. Foodie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is really a good site, useful and interesting information