Friday, July 31, 2009

My Pick For Top Six Fruits Of The Summer

Ms. Foodies Top Six Fruits Of The Summer

When I think of summer I think of Hot days, Warm summer nights, BBQ, Fireworks, Iced Cold Beer, Growing Gardens & of course Amazing Fruit!

I love Strawberry's just about any way I can get them, fresh, frozen, sliced, smashed & pureed. Going out to pick strawberry's in a garden patch was fun when I was little but getting to eat them of course was the big treat. This is one of those favorite fruits, I'd rather buy then grow. What else I love about this fruit is that, strawberry's go with just about anything dessert and no matter how many I eat, I never grow tired of them. Who doesn't love cold fresh Watermelon on a hot summer day? This is one of those fruits you can eat till you burst and then just call it lunch. When the weather is screaming hot and past the 90's watermelon is the way to go. When I was a manicurist we used to get fresh basil leaves and San Fransisco sour dough bread with a baby sweet watermelon ( super sweet seedless) Cut a slice of bread open like a sandwich, slice 1 inch watermelon wedge and top with basil. That my friend is a watermelon sandwich, easy on the budget too. I do like to grow those baby sweet watermelons, they grow right next to my cantaloupe, don't take that much room and are to die for!! Two more berries are another biggy for the summer and I do love all berries. I would have to say though, for just the summer months I pick Blackberry's & Raspberry's because after September you can really only find them frozen. They are one of those fruits that as much as I love them I have a hard time with them in smoothies because of so many seeds. I would rather capture the flavor of summer with these little berries in homemade jams or berry cobblers. Speaking of pastries, let's not forget a homemade summer Peach pie.......Al Mode please! Peaches, I love the name, the look, the smell and the juice running down my arm from a fresh picked peach. My new favorite thing to do with the not so luscious store bought peaches, is soak them in a little bit of salt water, fresh cut rosemary, squeeze some myers lemon juice and let them soak for about 30 min. Then pat dry and rub some EVOO infused with rosemary (or finely chopped fresh) and Grill, yes grill on the BBQ. I think that is much better with a pork loin then baked apples, judge for yourself and let me know. When you think of peaches do you also think of Nectarines? I know I do, I love the flavor and the texture unlike peaches my lips don't get soar after I eat one because they have smooth skin unlike fuzzy peaches. For me, this is summer and that is why I chose these as my six favorite summer fruits. Of course I'd also like to share some of my cool down recipes with you; see below and more to follow in the next few days.

I'd love to hear what fruits remind you of summer so, please post your thoughts, take the polls or write me in a e-mail.

Thank you,
Ms. Foodie


Strawberry Watermelon Slush
aka Cali-Cooler (Adult Beverage Version)


1 Pint or 3/4 blender full of fresh strawberries
5 Big chunks of fresh Watermelon
Blend to puree
Now add Crushed or Cube Ice
Top with Tequila Gold
Blend until smooth
Serve over more crushed ice
and a squeeze of lime wedge
* if you have a sprig of mint
add that to the top for flavor and color

serves 4 (in my blender)

No comments: