Monday, July 27, 2009

If Your Grandma Doesn't Know What It Is...DON'T EAT IT




A long time ago I went to my great grandmas house and she told me that there is nothing sweeter then a tomato off a vine you grew, that had been warming in the sun. Some how that stuck with me for all these years and still today. I loved going to her vegetable garden with her,pull a few weeds... snap off some sugar peas and pluck a tomato to munch on like an apple, right there in the soft sweet soil. I loved going to her house because it always smelt like delicious food. Homemade cookies, pies, soups, stews you name it, that woman was always cooking, chopping or baking something. So because of those memory's, I decided a long time ago to start getting back to basics.
I have started making my own salad dressings again because it is really easy to do and very cost affective. It amazes me at all the crap company's can put into things to save on cost and to preserve shelf life; at the expense of the human race who consumes this "junk." I have been reading ALL labels lately, even in the spice mixes I use and those little "flavor packets." I am so shocked about the things that are in some of the most simple recipes. I heard someone once say "if your grandma does not know what it is, don't put it in your mouth". What a great idea! So now even more then before, I have really looked at what is in my favorite foods; asking how could I make it from scratch? I cut out soda pop over ten years ago, not to say I never have a soda but it is rare. I used to eat
fast food at least once a day back when I was a manicurist but I stopped that too. Of course when I became a Realtor I would eat at many sit down nice restaurants; even though it was not fast food I knew there was still a lot of fats & sugars in my foods.


Sodium Nitrite
~ Did you know that this is added to meats to preserve the color of the meat as well as helping stop the growth of bacteria. Of course studies are now showing that after cooking it at high temperatures, which is what we do to this meat; Has been shown to promote cancer... We all know good ol' Monosodium Glutamate ~ aka "MSG" This is used as a "flavor enhancer" unfortunately it causes sever headaches that feel like a migraine, for some people. Why not just stick to salt, Sea salt is great because a little goes a very long way. How about everyone's new favorite to talk about? Trans Fats ~ a "non heart healthy" choice that can lead to heart disease, heart attack, kidney failure, not to tasty. After reading that, it is amazing how much I love my meat and dairy. So then you come to Olestra ~ I'm sorry it even sounds nasty, I never got into this "synthetic fat" great now they want me to eat liquid plastic? I am not saying that is what it is, I'm just saying no bag of fake fat potato chips is going to make me want to eat it when I know rest of my fat I consume will come out of me in the lovely form of diarrhea. I might as well be on the laxative diet. Not only that but Olestra also blocks your vitamin intake that come from your fruit and veggies. Another one I never fell for was that "fake sugar stuff" yukkk I can taste Aspartame ~ a mile away and now there is another new one Acesulfame-K ~ I really hate this one because all my old favorite chewing and bubble gum's use it because they think the flavor will last longer. I no longer chew those gum's for that reason alone. I have always said that there will be proof of cancer because of fake sugar and for Aspartame there finally is. Now Acesulfame-K is right behind. It is easy to know when your cold pressed olive oil has turned rancid but oils with Propyl Gallate ~ added to help oil from spoiling is worse in my opinion because it gives it years and years of shelf life. Come on people, I'd rather have to keep my EVOO in a dark bottle refridgerated. I have never understood why people want to eat blue food coloring (like ink in a pen) especially when you can buy veggie dye colors made by Mother Nature. Food Colors Blue 1 & 2 Red 3, Green 3 and Yellow 6 are your big no no's. Why have they not been banned yet by the FDA I have no idea, there is not flavor to them just color. Then again I can't believe they still bleach eggs because people won't eat them if they are brown. As much as I love my maraschino cherries, I'd rather see then without dyes so I can live tumor free. Last but not least the three big W's, White Flour, White Sugar and White Salt. There are better choices out there, you don't have to shut the door on all of it, just know what you are putting in your mouth & body and please READ LABELS!

Ms. Foodie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... lots of useful info here!

Unknown said...

You are amazing!!! I love all the thought you put into each blog. It's like I can hear you speaking to me, Great stuff Ms. Foodie.