Sunday, March 13, 2011

Santa Barbra Burritos


 I have been on a quest to get out of the rut of cooking my favorite dishes and explore even more. This is really hard for me when I am craving something but I don't have the ingredient's I need to make it. I must admit I'm not a big fan of fruit in my savory but sometimes it is fun. Mango salsa is one of those things that can become very addicting, my friends all fell in love with way before I did but I must admit I have come around. 
This is a great way to celebrate spring and summer on it's way. You can use chicken, prawns, crab or lobster, your choice. I did create this recipe with chicken, so it is the one I am posting.
I have changed the name 3 times but Santa Barbra Burritos stuck because it was after all the salsa that started the whole idea.

Santa Barbra Burritos



Ingredients
4 chicken breast
2 cups of jasmine rice
3 ½ cups of water
2 cups of black beans
1 bunch of cilantro
2 cups of shredded Mexican blend cheese
8 thick slices of Monterey jack cut in ½
4 ¼ cups of Santa Barbra Mango Salsa
3-4 cups of sour cream
1 cup of chili Verde sauce
½ cup of E.D. Smith Peach mango spread or (Trader Joes apricot jam) less sugar
8  flour tortillas (I love Missions soft taco)

Directions
In a oven safe skillet  place boneless skinless breast of chicken and top with ¾ cups of mango salsa, cover and bake 350 for about 25 minutes until inner temp reaches 175. Let rest and cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

While chicken cooks
Make rice (I love my rice cooker for this dump press and go)
If cooking stove top place rice and water bring to a boil.
Now add ½ cup of mango salsa cover & simmer till rice is finished.

Next:
Mix sour cream, Verde,  and jam together, set aside

Preheat oven 375 to 400

Chop and mix chicken, cilantro, 3 cups of mango salsa

Put it all together:
In a casserole dish cover bottom with sour cream mixture
Lay down a tortilla and fill with chicken mixture, rice, sprinkle black beans and 2 slices of Monterey fold in the ends and roll seam side down…Repeat 7 to 9 times depending on how much you fill your tortillas. I get 8 fully loaded. Cover with rest of your sour cream mixture…sprinkle Mexican shredded cheese and bake uncovered for about 40 minutes. If cheese is melted and browning cover with foil till hot and bubbly. Bottoms will be crisp and chewy
almost like an enchilada….more like a burrito.

ENJOY! 

Ms. Foodie

No comments: